Diet drinks made with artificial sugars (such as aspartame found in the dieter’s best friend: Diet Coke) hinder weight loss by LOWERING YOUR METABOLISM because “your body’s core temperature doesn’t rise after consuming artificial sweetener, causing a decrease in your BASAL METABOLIC RATE, also leading to weight gain” (TIME)
They also cause you to feel hungrier bc your body’s insulin levels go up when you taste the super saccharin sweet (pun intended) fake sugar, but since it’s not real sugar, the insulin has no sugar to transport, therefore, the high insulin levels make you CRAVE SUGAR (adapted for Science Daily, APA).
And to make things even worse, ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS CAUSE VISCERAL FAT STORAGE ESPECIALLY IN YOUR LOWER ABDOMEN (Tone It Up 21). what does this mean? this means that your body stores excess fat on top of your ab muscles. YUM.
Interestingly, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP is considered an artificial sugar that is linked to these weightloss hindrances because although it comes from a plant, it is “not natural” and overly processed (Science Daily).
Also, artificial sugars/sweeteners raise your risk for dieases such as diabetes, stroke, heart disease, obesity, and some studies show alzheimers.
is diet coke worth it? I THINK NOT.
go for water:
you can flavor it with REAL FRUIT if you don’t like water,
try:raspberries, mint, cucumber, oranges, lime, lemons, strawberries)
- DRINKING WATER KEEPS YOU HYDRATED.
- HYDRATION ALLOWS YOUR BODY TO METABOLIZE YOUR FOOD AND BURN FAT.
- BEING HYDRATED CAN RAISE YOUR METABOLISM BY 3%.
- WATER IS IMPORTANT IN EVERY SINGLE FUNCTION OF YOUR BODY. (Gropper)
tone it up diet plan
TIME: Can Sugar Substitues Make you Fat?
American Psych. Assoc. Journal adapted for Science Daily
Gropper, Sareen. Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism <— my textbook)
still think diet coke is worth it?
What is thermogenesis and what does it mean for weightloss?
Thermogenesis is non-voluntary (and some voluntary) activity such as shivering, fidgeting, maintenance of posture, and flexing which exerts energy (thereby using calories)
Although it doesn’t compensate for overeating or lack of exercising, understanding and using thermogenesis is an EASY way to burn more calories, look better, and tone your body.
Here are some things you can do:
- Don’t stop moving.
- Stand rather than sit, and sit rather than lie.
- Keep your body tight, your shoulders back, and your back STRAIGHT.
- Make yourself walk more than you normally do simply by parking father away, leaving the food in the kitchen so that you have to get up and get some, etc.
Doing these things can help you burn 100-300 calories EXTRA a day which can add up to about 1 lb every 2 weeks.
You can go one step beyond thermogenesis and do exercises during otherwise sedentary activities such as:
- doing leg lifts, crunches, etc while watching TV
- sitting on a balance/exercise ball while at the computer
- doing squats while brushing your teeth
- doing leg lifts or stretches while reading